Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Javelinas are Gone for the Day




We drove 280 miles in 11 hours today. We started in Tucson and ended in Phoenix.

Today was our single biggest day of touring, and we saw some great stuff. There's a lot to do in and around Tucson, but we only did a fraction of it. The first thing we did was drive down to Green Valley and go on the Titan II Missile Museum tour. My mom wasn't into the whole Cold War thing, so she explored the nearby desert while I went on the tour. It's too bad she didn't come, because when I told her no one asked the tour guide any good questions, she said she would've asked why surrendering to the commies wasn't a better alternative than annihilating all mankind.

I've wanted to go on this tour for a really long time and it didn't disappoint. I think I liked it so much because I like the idea of living in an entirely self-sufficient underground house, and it gave me some idea of what it would be like. We didn't actually get to see the crew quarters, though, so I had to use my imagination more than I would've liked.

After the museum, we went to lunch in Tucson, at a Mexican seafood restaurant, and then drove out to the Saguaro National Park (East). My mom has fallen in love with javelinas and when I searched online for parks that have them the Saguaro NP came up, so our main goal in going to the park was to see some javelinas. Sadly, we didn't see any. The park itself was beautiful, though, and it's really cool that there's such a park so close to the city.

We then drove up to Phoenix, had some dinner and checked into yet another Comfort Suites.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay Elliott said...

In the old days, the best place to see javelinas was at the Saguaro Corners restaurant, where floor to ceiling windows looked out on savage desert. Nowadays, your best bet is probably the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, though in winter it's tough regardless. They're friskier in spring and summer.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home