Thursday, August 10, 2006

DC Banh Mi Reigns Supreme!





In accord with my recent observation that first generation American restaurants are the place to go for affordable tastiness, I drove down Rt. 50 today and had lunch at DC Banh Mi, a local Vietnamese sandwich destination. Perhaps one of the few good things to come from France's colonial occupation of Vietnam, the Banh Mi sandwich is a spicy combination of meat and veggies on a baguette. The key to a good Banh Mi sandwich is to get maximum tastiness with a minimum amount of meat and veggies, and to serve this up on a freshly baked baguette. DC Bahn Mi does as good a job at achieving this goal as anywhere else I've been; even better, I'd say, than most--including the excellent Banh Mi sandwich I had last week in Little Saigon, near Anaheim, CA.

According to Washington area Chowhound discussion board, though, there's an even better Banh Mi place in Falls Church. I'll have to check it out next.

On the budget tip: my lunch, including bottled water, was $4 today. If I had bought five sandwiches, I would've gotten one free.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banh mi sandwiches kick ass. I'll have one with you the next time I'm up in your direction. Better yet, bring one down next time you're headed down this way.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

They're much better fresh. You've got to come up here to get one. We can go to the other place in Falls Church together.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

By the way, what's up with the bottom photo? On my computer, the photo's 90 degrees to the right and horizontal. But uploaded onto the blog, it's vertical. Oh, well, I'm not going to bother uploading all of those photos again. (Nat would probably tell me to start using Picassa or some such.)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you take that sandwich picture? It's beautful!

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home