Friday, August 11, 2006

Food Factory




When I told my sister that I went to Food Factory, an Afghan place in Ballston, for lunch today and that at lunch they only have a buffet, she summed up my experience perfectly with a simple four word phrase: "Buffets are bad, Charles". Of course, she's right, but when I went I didn't know that they have a lunch buffet. Previously, I had only been to Food Factory for dinner, and it had always been a la carte--and good. But a buffet is a terrible thing, and it does terrible things to food, so today was the first and last time I'll go to Food Factory for lunch. The details are unremarkable, so I won't bother you with them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree. The buffet can be a perfectly enjoyable experience; sure the food tends to be mediocre, but there's a lot of it, and you can choose what to gorge on.

Indian buffets are particularly enjoyable; there's a good one down here to check out next time you're in town. Probably one of the better $8 meals around.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

I think our disagreement centers around whether access to lots of mediocre food is, or can be, enjoyable. I'm tempted to say it's not; or that it only is when you're really interested in a feast, and even then the sort of mediocre food you find large quantities of at buffets isn't that enjoyable to gorge on. I mean, it tends to be the kind of thing you can scoop onto your plate, and it tends to be greasy, and I guess I just don't like eating large quantities of scooped greasy food of mediocre quality. I would, on the other hand, enjoy eating large quantities of mediocre sushi, but only because I would only feel stuffed at the end, not a little queasy as well.

I'll check out the Indian place with you, though. I assume it's the one on 29?

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're wrong about sushi buffets: you end up feeling super queasy (and not because the fish is rotten or anything).

Yeah, the Indian place is on 29.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

I've never actually been to a sushi buffet, but what I was imagining was lots of Whole Foods grade sushi. I don't think that would make my queasy.

I once went to an all you can eat sushi place. The problem was all of the sushi was really bland veggie sushi rolls. That's it.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

Eating a lot of Whole Foods grade sushi doesn't make me queasy, by the way.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home