Friday, August 10, 2007

Goodbye California

Thursday, August 9th

Start: Los Angeles, CA
Finish: Tucson, AZ

Distance: 530 miles.
Time: 11.5 hours.


The California Experiment has come to an end, at least for now. I left L.A. today at noon, driving south with my Dad in Old School II. (My parents are taking turns helping me out with the California Experiment: my Mom drove out with me last January.)

Our only stop today was in San Diego, where we went to visit a high school friend and mentor of my Dad's named Corky. When my Dad was in high school, he was really into bike racing and Corky was a carpenter who moonlighted as a custom bike manufacturer. From age 13 to 16 my Dad spent a lot of time hanging out with Corky and his son, who was also into bike racing (and was national champ at some point).

Now, Corky and his wife have retired to San Diego, in order to be near their son, who's now a dentist. Corky spends most of his free time working on wooden duck decoys, which he enters into national duck decoy competitions. He came in second place one year. They're very detailed and very realistic.

We spend the afternoon talking about (a) how Corky and his wife met (at an ice skating rink), (b) how Corky got into making bikes (he'd always been fascinated by bikes and when his son was too young to ride a normal racing bike, Corky just made one himself, with no guidance from anyone else), (c) how California life is treating them (they love it), and what we should do about illegal immigration.

After talking for a few hours, we got back in the car and drove east. We had dinner at Taco Bell because we simply couldn't find anywhere else to go. We drove late into the night and finally made it to the outskirts of Tucson by midnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home