Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Best/My Favorite Movie Soundtracks (OST)

I've long been a fan of a good movie soundtrack. I'm not talking about the music in the background, scored for the movie (although I like that as well). I'm talking about the collection of pre-existing songs that are played in the course of the movie. (Admittedly, this distinction gets blurred with Blacksploitation movies.) So I'm going to make a list of my favorites. Please suggest addtional titles, which I'll add to the main body of the text if I agree that they're among the best.

The Best/My Favorite Movie Sountracks (OST)

American Graffiti (1973)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
The Big Chill (1983)
Black Caesar (1973)
Black Orpheus/Orfeu Negro (1959)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
The Harder They Come (1972)
Jackie Brown (1997)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Manhattan (1979)
Match Point (2005)
Soundtrack Music from Woody Allen's Movies (1990)
Superfly (1972)
The Virgin Suicides (1999)
Wild Style (1983)

6 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

That's a great list ... I would only add the music for Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which is much better than the movie itself

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think of the Wes Anderson soundtracks--Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

Yeah, I know those are conspicuously absent. They should probably be on this list, but I'm resistant becauseI never actually listen to them. I mean, I listened to each of them once when I first got them, but never since. Do you actually listen to them, as albums?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen to the Royal Tenenbaums when I'm at my parents' house. It's a good Xmas time album.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg don't forget Garden State and The Crow!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Charles P. Everitt said...

"Garden State" has Thievery Corp. on it, which might suffice to exclude it from my list. But I should really judge from listening, so I'll re-listen to it tonight.

I've never heard the Crow OST, though looking at in on amazon (where one can get it for 30 cents) it looks like a real blast back to the dorms in college. I don't know if I can handle that, but I'll try.

From a user submitted review on amazon of the Crow:

"I admired the tragic story esp. with the death of Brandon Lee in the making."

Well, that's a sick thing to say, but it's probably also an honest expression of why a lot of people like the movie.

Oh, someone else seconded Hedwig and suggested the Velvet Goldmine OST as well. Just for the record.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home